On-Site and Skype School Visits
So, why hire me?
Honestly, I’ve asked many teachers and school librarians, about getting their bucks worth from author visits and most teachers and librarians admit that their students at the elementary levels aren’t that familiar with many authors. More importantly, an author needs to be entertaining and understands how to manage behavior, can speak to different aged and sized groups effectively, and has knowledge of elementary curriculum and standards. An author needs to understand how to connect with young people and quickly. I do this naturally by utilizing plenty of humor, teaching techniques, and a natural strength for connecting with young people. This was always my strength as an elementary special education teacher for fifteen years.
You’ll also find that my speaking fees are very reasonable. You may contract a well-known author and discover they charge between one and two thousand dollars for a visit and sometimes aren’t exactly worth this amount. I guarantee you will get every pennies worth from my visit!.
- A Powerpoint Presentation for all ages K-6.
-A fun and interactive presentation that warms
up the audience about me and my message about
writing and reading.
|2. A Writer’s Mini- Workshop for Grades 3rd-6th.-Author Inside Tips on Narrative Writing: From
ideas to publication and everything in between.
3. A Workshop for Reluctant or Unmotivated Readers: Helping Readers discover the joy and
Power of reading for the first time
A One-day Visit Includes:
- Up to three sessions/presentations per day, each is up to an hour.
- Question & Answer session after each program
- Autograph session
- Lunch with the Author (featuring selected students)
Local: Within 90 miles of Rochester, New York: Outside of Monroe County: $400.00 and no mileage expense, up to three sessions per day, up to one-hour sessions.
Very Local: Monroe County. I can come for as few as two sessions for $300.00. I can adjust according to what you may need.
Skype Visits: $150.00 for a 45 minute presentation plus Q&A
- Within 90 miles of Rochester, New York: $400.00.
- Beyond 90 miles of Rochester, New York and within New York State: $500.00 plus Mileage: Motel & Meals depending on distance.
- Out-of-State: $800.00 a day, plus expenses
- Honorarium is expected the day of the visit
Book Sales & Signing:
My publisher’s website (splashingcowbooks.com) has a bulk order form for ordering books before my visit.
Prior to the school visit, I’ll provide an Author Packet containing:
- Teachers’ guides
- Classroom activities/discussion suggestions
- Bio and photo
- Jack’s Tales mini-posters, post cards, and flyers for school and classroom display.
Prior to the school visit, it is helpful that the school:
- Share the materials from my Author Packet with staff and students (materials can either be duplicated or read online)
- Send home materials to parents
- Make sure each class has read and discussed Jack’s Tales
- Requisition a check for Jim’s honorarium
The day of the Author Visit, the school will provide
- Microphone with a long cord
- Screen and Power Point projector/computer (if needed)
- Lunch for the author (if author will be present past noon)
- Author’s payment
- A volunteer (parent, teacher, librarian, older student) to help with book sale money and orders so that I may concentrate on chatting with the students while autographing their books
Please download a hard copy of this information to circulate if you need to:)
Fill out the form below to contact me about visiting your school
An Article About One of My School Visits:
Reading is a Very Good Thing
Children’s book author Jim Westcott, a 1987
Newark High School graduate, told children at
Kelley School June 11th how important reading is,
not just in school but in all aspects of life.
His latest book, “Jack’s Tales” published
earlier this year, is intended to engage younger,
reluctant readers with three, funny short stories
about a boy who “refuses to allow his anxiety
disorder to be anything but what it really is: vapor
Readers will likely find themselves rooting
An article about one of my school visits! Click below: